Thursday, March 25, 2021

Liga Privada No. 9 Toro

March 24th, 2021 This was the second dip into the box of twelve cigars. The first one I tried shortly after arrival in mid-December, last year. It was so disgusting that I threw it away before the halfway mark; it had no flavour or body. Finish was short. Everything about it was a wipe-out. I had just smoked a Ratzilla, a week before, which was equally disappointing and so my opinion of the brand was at the low end of the scale. I sold the remainder of the Ratzilla box to friend and put the No. 9s at the back of my humidor cabinet where I promptly forgot about them. That is, until yesterday. I thought I should venture back in. I was not disappointed.



Wrapper not at all oily and not as dark as I had expected.

I opened the box. The first cigar I palpated felt a bit dry. I transferred it to another humidor. The second one felt a little more supple. I selected it. It had very little dry aroma, but on closer inspection, it gave a sweet, mild scent; nothing overpowering.

Light up was a blast of flavour. I breathed a sigh of relief. Everything was good: flavour was rich; a cocoa - coffee blend. Body and finish were full and long. There was a tad of resistance at the beginning. 

Construction: A solid, chunky, 6" by 52 which felt substantial in the hand. The structure is interesting; from the Drew Estate website:
Capa (wrapper): Connecticut Broadleaf #1 Dark
Capote (binder): Plantation-Grown Brazilian Mata Fina
Tripa (filler): Select Honduran and Nicaraguan Cuban Seed
Strength: Medium – Full

Draw: If there was anything to fault, it was the draw during the first third which was a bit resistant. But this is a quibble. Towards the middle, the cigar opened up delightfully, producing volumes. Smoke was cool throughout. I smoked the nub to about half an inch without feeling heat.

Burn: Good burn throughout, not razor sharp but not too wavy. I needed a relight at the last two-inch mark. But that was no detraction.

Flavour: Dark coffee with a hint of cocoa. Interesting that pepper and spice were absent for the first half but presented in moderation in the second half. This is a smooth balanced cigar, without any dominating flavour.

Body: Medium to full, building to full in the final half/third.

Strength: Medium strength building to strong. I felt a mild sweat in the tropical evening during the final inch or two. It was not unpleasant.

Finish: Good long finish, permitting a leisurely smoke.

Aroma: Excellent, rich and complex aroma.

Consistency: Consistently good throughout: no disappointments along the way.

Time smoke: Around 110 minutes - just under two hours.

Overall: Bliss! This was Drew Estate as good as I have ever smoked; a solid, chunky, rich and complex smoke from start to finish.

Slightly wavy burn, but nothing requiring correction.

August 23rd, 2021. Another dud. This was the third dip into the box of twelve. The cigar was rather dry to touch but not too dry; it had a little give. But that was not its problem. It was plugged. You can see the plug jutting out from the cigar in the photo below. That triangular tip in the picture was much longer immediately after i tapped the ash off. Burn was razor sharp. So if you attempted to preserve the ash, you wouldn't see the plug. But you'd notice it. 

A plug, in the shape of a cocoon made this cigar a disappointment

The upshot of the plug was a very tight draw until the second half. I think it also distorted the flavour profile. There was also a vinegary sourness which was very strong at the outset. It  dissipated after the first centimetre but  reappeared from time to time during the first half making the cigar quite harsh. 

The cigar had moments of tastiness, much like the Alec Bradley Black Market: a dark chocolatey, rich flavour. But it was not smooth or balanced. Body and strength hovered around the medium level until the second half after which, the cigar started to perform.

During the second half, the cigar picked up both body and strength. Flavour became much smoother. The acrid, vinegar flavour abated. Strength picked up; I broke into a mild sweat, but thankfully that passed. Flavour became more complex and interesting. I began to savour the cigar as it was approaching the last inch; a rather frustrating experience. The cigar underperformed until the end, when it started to please. Then it was time to put it out. 85 minutes. Overall: frustrating. 

March 23rd, 2022: I ventured back to this cigar after nine months. This one was quite pleasant. There was flavour and body with a rich, creamy smoothness and an elegant aftertaste. Flavour was much as described above: a dark roast maduro with a hint of cocoa and a sweet spiciness like Cayenne pepper.

Body was medium until the final third, during which intensity increased to full body.

Almost 100 minutes of very fine, balanced, maduro flavour.

I didn't notice any strength until I had finished and stood up and walked indoors. My legs wobbled a little and dreams were vivid. (For some reason I was in a war zone trying to reach safety. I wonder what that was about?)

The only defect with the cigar was a couple of cracks. This cigar had been in my humidor, well maintained at around 70%, so the cracks were a bit of a mystery. 

Overall this was a very refined, balanced, cigar with adequate flavour and body, easy draw and straight burn. 98 minutes. Very satisfying, much like the one I smoked one year ago, almost to the day.



At the 70 minute mark.

October 12th, 2023: After a slightly rough start and a crooked burn, this cigar became a knock-out performer. Draw was slightly tight, but adequate. Aroma was exquisite and flavour was mellow, rich and complex dark roast throughout. Body was medium plus and delicious to the nub. Two hours. Very satisfying. 


The wonky burn soon straightened out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

La Aurora 1495 Brasil Maduro Robusto

  June 29th, 2024 : According to the La Aurora website, this cigar is made with, ...six tobaccos from five different countries: the dark and...